Rich text grader feedback in CourseSites

Rich text comments are possible in CourseSites, although only in the sixth week of using CourseSites did I realize this capability existed. I had previously discovered that the students could not access the comments I was making in the Crocodoc document interface. I also discovered that my students did not realize they could open the rubric. I have stopped putting feedback comments in the rubric because these are in what amounts to too obscure a location for my students. I know put all comments in the grader feedback field, this the students can find a little more easily, although some students still have difficulties navigating to their submitted papers.


The Grader Feedback field is simply a text field, but the field does have HTML format capabilities as can be seen in the above screenshot. Accessing this capability is not entirely obvious. There small capital A at the lower left side accesses this capability in CourseSites. Note that the button next to the small capital A permits the option of attaching and uploading a file as part of the feedback. I have yet to utilize this mechanism but I can see where it might be handy for attaching a standard feedback such as the class style sheet.


The capital A button opens a rich text editor that is actually a WYSIWYG interface to HTML formatting. In other words, if HTML supports the style, the editor has that ability. The editor also has the capability of inserting "mash-up" elements, although I have not explored this option.

Note that in the foreground is a text editor that I use to store common comments. I can then copy and paste my most common comments.


The laboratory reports are marked with a rubric which can be partially seen above. CourseSites rubrics are not predesigned - an instructor has a lot of latitude in the design of their rubric. The number of columns, rows, the descriptions, the point values.

In the past marking laboratory reports has been a half day affair or longer, taking the bulk of a Saturday to mark laboratory reports, provide feedback, and get the scores entered into my spreadsheet gradebook. Now I find I can mark papers faster, more efficiently. I have marked papers far more quickly and efficiently. Maybe the biggest difference is that I usually have to "set up" for grading. Get a calculator, pull out the rubric, my roster, organize all the papers. So I used to save all grading for the weekend. Now I can "pop" into CourseSites and mark a couple papers on the fly without having to "set up". Everything is there. And no adding up points - the rubric is a point-and-click interactive interface. The scores flow automatically into the gradebook. Couple with my typing speed exceeding my writing speed (and being far more legible too!), cut-and-paste standardized notes, I am easily grading at twice the speed I used to. I am finishing in two hours what once took four hours. And that is a real gift to those of us who grade essays of any sort. Just do not tell the administration or they will surely double our class sizes!

Joking aside, there is a real benefit for the students. They get papers back faster with more detailed comments, the instructor gains time that can be redeployed to helping students.

Although I also use Engrade and Edmodo, I have no favorite and would not trade one for the other in my courses at this time. Each is rather perfect for the course in which I am deploying the package.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moodle bulk grading of manually marked quiz and test questions

Experimenting with the PlantNet and iNaturalist apps

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia