iNaturalist introduction

 Thursday I did a brief introduction Canvas in order to show the students the textbook in Canvas and some of the flora resources in modules. Then I went through the iNaturalist presentation


After this I assisted students with downloading and login to iNaturalist.


With construction occurring in all of the usual observation locations, I opted to take the class down to the corner.

Eugene followed by others in the course




Sonya at the left has encountered iNaturalist before in botany class

The class is 17 females and 9 males with 16 females and 8 females present for this exercise. This reflects a broader gender differential seen in many courses. Factors underneath this are many and unresearched but probably include high graduation rate differentials and outmigration differentials.


I first gathered the class together to explain which of the plants were ones either I or the ethnobotany class had planted. Scaevola taccada is a plant that I planted. 

The ethnobotany students planted this Senna alata.

The Hibiscus tiliaceus was not intentionally planted by myself or anyone in the class

On the ground is Heterotis rotundifolia


The class would wrap in the field by 4:40 PM. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia