Site swap mathematics

This summer I opted not to open with a video but to launch directly into site swap notation. 


This term I began on an RL rather than LR labelling as I tend to launch first from my right hand. I had arrived early and had the 3 and 51 diagrams on the board at class start. I asked the students to predict the next letters and colored circles. I showed that the numbers were the count of spaces. I then showed that switching a blue and green circle changes the order from RGB to RBG. I actually put in two swaps to show the RGB order could be restored.

Shrue used a two ball dapadap to get into a three ball juggle


Nicole also used dapadap to get into a three ball juggle

From there I drew parallels to the way mathematics is taught: in the abstract. I noted that we had been doing mathematics all term long. And yet we had solved only a couple equations. There are other faces to mathematics, other approaches to quantitative literacy that I would argue are no less valid than the memorization of pre-byzantine rules and tricks to solve quadratic and other equations. 

Based on low return rates for online surveys, I ran my own term end surveys in this class. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moodle bulk grading of manually marked quiz and test questions

Experimenting with the PlantNet and iNaturalist apps

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart