Mathematical models, flying disks, and flying rings

On the board I first covered the horizontal distance for an object launched from a height h as a function of the horizontal velocity vx. Then I briefly covered the horizontal distance for an object launched at an angle theta and noted how this was a different mathematical model. This term I remembered to bring a hat and sunglasses, I also looked up the information that the soccer field was unbearable in the morning humidity.

Stacey, Merenda, Jerome, Michsane

The morning class borrowed a small patch of shade on the lawns

Salvin, Frankie, Dori-Ann

I ran the tape out to the west-northwest to provide a clean shot. I again used the tape to provide a way of determining the distance flown.


In the morning I used swerve balls (orange) and various disks. The G2 air proved to be a stealth disk: the radar could not pick up a reflection from that disk. Also needed is paper towel to wipe the tape on reel in. I brought a GPS in the event that a disk went long, but only the golf disks (used at 11:00) would prove to theoretically be able to exceed 30 meters. In the morning I forgot the two marbles for the opening demonstration and used swerve balls, but they did not work as well.


Afternoon class shots. I dropped use of the swerve ball and added in the Frisbee golf disks. These disks are heavier and potentially more damaging to the radar gun holder, but they flew true and straight without tipping and proved to be very aimable. They also exhibited superior flight characteristics.


Dana, Delinah

Dana, Keanu



The above graph can be accessed in Desmos. The disks strongly outperformed the ball, which hit speeds up to 33.9 m/s.


Board shots


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia