Local complications in assessing learning sliced by gender

You can know the position of a particle but then you will then be unable to know the velocity, you can know the velocity of a particle but then you will be unable to know the position.

As I work on term end learning assessment reports and I stalled out fairly quickly. This term the college wanted all student learning outcomes attainment reported separately for each gender. I realized that I really had no way to sort my students by gender differentials while retaining outcomes information.

In statistics, an item analysis of the final examination provides a good measure of whether students can make basic statistical calculations up through confidence intervals. I mapped the final examination questions to learning outcomes in Schoology.




I could also access an item analysis for all students of the final examination. Between the mapping and the performance I could report the number who succeeded against a particular outcome.


The above, however, does not separate by gender. The only access to gender information would be from the individual student's score screen. 


There I know the gender of the student. That screen, however, does not separate by item so I cannot evaluate individual student learning outcomes from the final score.

Thus I can either generate performance on an outcome but lose gender information, or generate performance by gender but lose outcome information. Fortunately Schoology has a solution for this, an outcomes versus students grid:


Except that screen is only available in the Enterprise edition.  I can assign outcomes, but I cannot access the outcomes mastery screen. The above screen is from Schoology on line help files. The screen maps outcome performance against each student. From this I could report gender specific learning outcome attainment. But I do not have the enterprise edition and the institution for which I work has not opted to adopt any learning management system, at least not as yet. 

Popular posts from this blog

Box and whisker plots in Google Sheets

Creating histograms with Google Sheets

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia