RipStik Waveform

I again used a three poster pad sheet run to record the wave on, again using the sidewalk in front of the south faculty building. I did shift to using three stopwatches and had the students time the run. Two of three stopwatches obtained data, the third was in countdown mode.

I made four marks at 25 cm from the south edge of the paper. I intended for these marks to try to keep me on a straight line. Despite these marks, the apparent centerline wobbled. That said, the marks were still helpful.


This demonstration was equipment heavy. The trade winds were strong today, and I had to use wide masking tape to hold the paper down. The three sheets were held together using Scotch tape, the edges with the wide masking tape. I also pre-swept the area with the broom. Other equipment included the aforementioned three stop watches, a calculator, and the new fiber glass tape rule. Things I forgot initially were scissors, my clipboard, a meter stick for the centerline marking, and markers.


The wave was not unreasonably curved, but perhaps also not reasonably straight. The amplitude on the two waves differs markedly, evidence that I swizzle one foot more than the other.


The sidewalk is suboptimal for student note taking purposes. The sidewalk, however, is a better forum for holding attention than the classroom.


Four wavelengths were laid down across 250 cm. That put the wavelength 𝜆 at 62.5 cm. The amplitude A was 7.0 centimeters. The amplitude is the distance from the centerline to the top of a crest or from the centerline to the bottom of a trough.


I swizzled ("wiggled") four times in 1.65 seconds. Each "wiggle" took 1.65 seconds ÷ 4 waves =  0.4125 seconds. The duration of time for one wave is called the "period." Physics uses a capital T for period. Unfortunately that gets confused with the T for temperature in a course like physical science. I sometimes use a variation on a Greek "tau" 𝜏 for period to reduce some of the confusion.


The "beats per second" is the frequency f. The frequency f was 4  waves ÷ 1.65 seconds = 2.42 cycles per second or 2.42 Hertz. The speed at which the waveform moves ("propagates") is 𝜆 × f = 62.5 cm × 2.42 cycles per second = 151.5 cm/s


The wave form as rendered by WolframAlpha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moodle bulk grading of manually marked quiz and test questions

Experimenting with the PlantNet and iNaturalist apps

From Canvas to Moodle