Banana patch gardening

The second day of ethnobotany class was rearranged to begin in the A204 computer laboratory. I used the computer laboratory to remind students to sign into Schoology and to show a series of videos on machete use and safety. The final video in the playlist is included as an example of how not to swing a machete.


After a video introduction to machete safety, the class walked down to the banana patch. I carried the machetes down in my car. This avoided having 27 students with machetes marching across the middle of the campus. I also passed out the under-development banana patch handout.

Kerat Esechu

At the end of the class I collected the machetes and loaded them back into my car, again avoiding carrying machetes across campus.


Sebastian Yinnifel






Casan-Jenae Joab






Unknown bananas, not uhten Ruhk. Suspected of being a more recent introduction or possibly uhten kirenis.

Uhten ruhk.

Popular posts from this blog

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia

Box and whisker plots in Google Sheets

Engrade student reactions and comments