RipStik Sine Wave

Physical science chapter nine wave forms began with a RipStik run as in prior terms. Again this term, as I did last term, I did not walk down to A101. I opted to again use the covered walkway on the east side of the library. The poster pad was still in my office from the ethnobotany gymnosperm presentations, so I opted to run the swizzle first.


This term I used a tape measure in lieu of meter sticks. Due to wind, all edges had to be fully taped down. A bar of soap is holding down the one corner.


The tape measure proved a handy adaptation.


A practice run. Westbound, uphill, works better than downhill, but a steeper slope might help. Having four waves on the paper, rather than two and change, would be better I suspect. I have used the steeper slope, but that location is also closer to the B building. I remain concerned about noise spill over.


My wave form was not as stable as I might have liked, and I crossed the paper faster than I had wanted to. Hard to have both a stable wave form and a relatively high frequency. I get the highest frequencies at the lowest speeds, speeds at which stability can be problematic.


This term I remained at the sidewalk, the rest of the class eventually drifting out to find me.


The poster paper was my white board.


Class in session.




I did momentarily confuse myself. I meant to calculate the period but then wrote the 2.5 periods in the numerator and 1.06 seconds in the denominator. This calculates the frequency, not the period. I then corrected this on the sheet.



I had almost forgotten to cover the amplitude. The amplitude was tagged onto the end of the presentation after I had covered the wave velocity calculation.




Soap bars were used initially to hold down the paper until taping was finished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia