Crayon towers

Laboratory eight has a special focus on observation, accurate drawings, and the science of kindergarten: cloud shapes. The laboratory is also the first piece of a set of laboratories and demonstrations focusing on color and spectra. As such, I start where so many children start. With a box of crayons. I have long maintained that many colors, such as mauve, burnt sienna, raw umber, and turquoise, are defined in the minds of English speakers by Crayola crayons. 
Serlyn Manuel coloring a cloud in the sky

The languages of Micronesia usually have color words for red, yellow, green, blue (or green/blue switching words), purple, pink, brown, black, and white. Orange is often an imported word. I often ask the class, "How many colors are there in English?" I then use a box of 96 crayons to show that there are more colors than they realize. When I saw a tower with 150 unique colors, I knew I needed those towers for class.


Three students stayed back of their own accord in the 11:00 class to produce sheets listing many of the colors. This was new to me but may have been prompted by an off-hand comment of mine alluding to a quiz on esoteric colors such as jazzberry jam.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moodle bulk grading of manually marked quiz and test questions

Experimenting with the PlantNet and iNaturalist apps

From Canvas to Moodle