Profile picture uptake in CourseSites, Edmodo, Engrade

At the end of the term I plan to run student reaction surveys for Engrade, Edmodo, and CourseSites. That said, I know my reaction to the three packages, my likes and dislikes. I cannot help but wonder how the students feel about the packages. There is little to go on, but one facet has caught me eye. All three permit students to have a profile picture, but the rate of profile picture adoption varies between the packages. I have the highest rate of profile pictures in Edmodo, followed by Engrade, and then CourseSites.


Edmodo, like FaceBook, features a prominent profile picture with every interaction, every post, and in the grade book. Engrade only displays a small profile picture in discussions and messages. The profile picture does not appear in the grade book in Engrade. CourseSites, at least the manner in which I am using CourseSites, does not often display the profile picture. Just to find whether my students had uploaded pictures took me some stumbling around a section of CourseSites I do not usually use.

I cannot say what this means, but I perceive that by being able to post and display a profile picture of their choice, students feel a sense of ownership and personal presence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moodle bulk grading of manually marked quiz and test questions

Experimenting with the PlantNet and iNaturalist apps

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart