Web typography and @font-face

With thanks to Mozilla and Jos Buivenga, I returned to a page first authored in 2008. The page attempted to use the CSS3 rule @font-face, but this was not functional. Fonts fascinated me even before computers and I doodled my own fonts as a youth. Back in the day when fonts were bit mapped I even built a couple crude decorative fonts that were wholly unreadable. When fonts went vector based and a full set required hundreds of glyphs, kerning pairs, and true italic and bold fonts, I walked away.

While I no longer have time to create fonts, I actually spend more time thinking about them than most. I followed carefully the development of the Vista ClearType "C" family fonts. Philip Shaw's CodeStyle site and his font stack builder remain an important tool as I design my own cascading style sheet font stacks.

When Jason Cranford Teague's new book, Fluid Web Typography, arrived in our library, I was the first to check the book out. The book is a superb primer on web typography, and does a nice job of summarizing the fontless moors of "web safe fonts" that all web page creators have been wandering since at least 1996.

Now the page with @font-face is functional, I will probably return to wandering the moors of web relatively safe font stacks. Sometimes wandering the moors is the path of least resistance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia