Gathering stones

Having given my students the homework problem of bringing in a one kilogram stone during the laboratory today, I too went out to find my own one kilogram stone. The rules for the instructor are the same as those of the students: we are all working in the blind, guessing based on having hefted a one kilogram metal mass and a one kilogram bag of sugar earlier in the day. We are all depending on muscle memory, an area of memory not often worked out in academic classes. My wife and son understood the task at hand and joined in the rock hunt along the Nampihl river on Pohnpei.
My wife having fun, off-balance, now a little worse for the wear post-activity.
My son enjoying a sunny evening along the river.
My son shows off his chosen one kilogram rock. I am still hunting for mine. Bear in mind that my son has no clear idea what a kilogram feels like, he was not in class.
On Wednesday the rocks will be massed to see who, if anyone, is close to one kilogram.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia