RipStik as demonstrator of potential converting to kinetic energy

In a rather overly simplistic physics demonstration of gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy, I used a RipStik at the bottom of a hill to show I had no potential for motion - no energy due to my gravitational position. 

Then I moved up slope and mounted up onto the caster board without pushing off with my foot. 

I then accelerated down slope, trading gravitational potential energy for kinetic energy. I then carved around on the board and noted that I could not gain speed going uphill. I was now trading kinetic energy, speed, for gravitational potential energy. I also demonstrated that I could continue uphill beyond the energy available from my speed only by swizzling the RipStik. Going uphill requires energy. Crude, primitive, and lacking in measurements, but as a basic demonstrator of the concepts, the RipStik was again useful.

Earlier demonstrations included constant linear motion and accelerated motion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia