SVG animation

An article on the CSS animation reminded me that the last time I tried SVG animation browsers could not yet render the animation. Realizing the standard dated back to 2003, Knowing that the CSS animation effort involved concepts and even commands that paralleled SVG animation - both having roots in SMIL animation, I realized that SVG animation might have landed in the wild. 


A quick look see found that while FireFox 3.5 could not render a simple animation I had thrown together,  Google Chrome could. This reinforced my sense that Mozilla has moved forward more slowly on the SVG front since FireFox 1.5, pushing ahead instead on CSS3, Canvas, and technologies such as TraceMonkey. With Chrome not yet rendering MathMl, SVG animation in Chrome is deficient for physical science diagrams. 


Gecko 1.9.3 will include some animation capabilities which may land in FireFox 1.7, but the critical animateMotion that I used in my simple colliding marbles diagram is not implemented in 1.9.3. At present my prime use of SVG is for static diagrams, the web pages are sections in a physical science course materials support text. Animations cannot print out, hence they are most likely to be used as supplemental material accessed by links from the on line version of the text.

Post-script: After puzzling over the language in the standard without enlightenment, I found that Dr. Hoffman had already put together a test suite that includes the samples of code that I needed in order to understand how to actually write useful, timing dependent animations. His subsection on animation is by far the best tutorial I have seen. Kalahngan o danke!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia