11.3 An attempt at Cohen's d effect size with hula hooping


For section 11.3 on Cohen's d effect size I wanted an in class activity that would generate a statistically significant difference. Based on prior interactions with students and hoops, I was accustomed to students not knowing how to hoop. The basic concept was have them try to hoop, essentially not do well, show them how to hoop, and then use a paired t-test for a difference in the number of rotations from before to after. There were two complications with this plan. The first was a very small sample size. The second was that some students already knew how to hoop. Such as Jessian above.


The result was a p-value larger than our alpha of 0.05.


That's a paired t-test for a pairwise difference in means - a "type 1" TTEST in Google Sheets. While the Cohen's d should not have proceeded, I still wanted to demonstrate the functions. Obviously there are a plethora of problems with this example - Jessian clearly knew how to hoop and could have done more but hadn't hooped in very long time. That was true for a few other students as well. But then I wanted an artificially deflated before number. A Desmos file for this was also produced showing how the confidence intervals completely overlap. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moodle bulk grading of manually marked quiz and test questions

Experimenting with the PlantNet and iNaturalist apps

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart