Healing plants walk Paies

This term I have tended to more often start class outside of A101 both in SC 130 and in SC/SS 115 than I have in prior terms. In part this stems from trying to make the classes more active. In part this is a logical response to the return to pre-pandemic course capacity. The island has both Covid and influenza on island, outdoor classes provide for a healthier air space. 


There wasn't the opportunity to really capture many photographs what with a large group and many plants to see. I began at the oahr (Premna serratifolia/Premna obtusifolia) and then walked over to the topwuk (Premna serratifolia/Premna obtusifolia). From there I headed down to the Volkameria inermis, Ocimum tenuiflorum, and Scaevola taccada. On the way we passed Terminalia catappa and Morinda citrifolia.  

The class is larger than it has been in a while and gets strung out along the route

Then I headed into Paies. At the base of a Mangifera indica I found Haploteris elongata and Asplenium polyodon. Since test one includes monilophytes, this gave me a chance to introduce these two members.

By the mango tree

I then covered Miconia crenata and Melastoma malabathricum - that they are different. We passed mwehk, Glochidion ramiflorum, and then a home surrounded by medicinals. Next to a gangly tall Scaevola taccada is a single pole of Barringtonia racemosa - the identification based on a student calling the plant wihnmoar. The Cordyline fruticosa plants that were prominent here are no longer prominent, but there is more Piper methysticum than before. From there up to the bridge there are actually few additional healing plants of note. A Citrus aurantifolia at Saint Barnabas church, a Crinum asiaticum along the way. 

Although I thought it was later, it was only 4:27 PM when we returned to campus in the above photo. With less to see up past the Melastoma in the gap, and the loss of a topwuk on the left by the house, the walk feels less complete and worthy than it did in the past. I haven't again seen Curcuma longa alongside the road past the church. Perhaps there was also a plant past the river. Either way, there is a good bit of walking for little payoff. But the bridge was nice and shady, so I covered the Thursday presentation while there. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moodle bulk grading of manually marked quiz and test questions

Experimenting with the PlantNet and iNaturalist apps

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia