RipStik energy conservation and banana leaf marble ramp notes

On Monday I tried to show that energy is conserved by trading GPE at the top of a slope for KE at the bottom. I used the covered walkway between the A and F buildings. My final velocity was difficult to obtain, I could only time the final 303 post-to-post centimeters to estimate my velocity. The real complication proved to be the height h. Without a level I could not accurately level the line I used to determine the height h. Memo to self: obtain a level before trying this again.

Although I started in centimeters, the numbers generated by working in cgs (70000 g, 14140000 g cm/s of momentum) appeared to be clouding the physics for the students and worked against rounding to mentally comprehensible numbers. So I switched to MKS. 

A mass of 70 kg (myself plus my RipStik measured using a metric spring scale), a g of 9.70 m/s², and a height of 0.09 meters yielded 62 Joules of GPE. A final speed of 3.03 meters/1.4 seconds (2.02 m/s) yielded a kinetic energy of 141 Joules. Thus my line was low. I had tried to level the line against the roof line of the north faculty building, I obviously failed. I was not wearing pants conducive to laying on the ground. More notes to self - wear grunge next time, bring that level. The "right" height is somewhere near 20 cm.

Wednesday I modified the marble ramp. By bringing extra meter sticks I was able to set up a T at the end of the 100 cm run. The leaf was hung low, only a 50 cm max height possible. I did heights at 5, 10, 15, 20 ,25 and 50, timing from 0 cm to when the marble slapped the end stick. This eliminated the sharp speed losses seen when I would shift from 100 cm to 200 cm lengths. I did all at 100 cm. The fastest marble, the 50 cm drop, timed in at 0.31 seconds. I was able to consistently and repeatedly repeat times in the low 0.30s for this marble.

height actual linear energy
(cm) velocit predict prediction
 (cm/s) (cm/s) (cm/s)
0 0 0 0
5 71 71 98
10 109 143 139
15 139 214 170
20 169  197
25 189  220
50 323  311

The use of the end stick has generated numbers closest to theoretic yet generated - somewhat coincidental/accidental given that the loss of energy due to spin up was not factored in. The corrected coefficient is down around 34 times the square root of the height.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia