Speed of Sound

For summer session I opted to use the RipStik for the introduction to waves. I used a modification of the set-up I deployed last spring. The new floor tile, which had an uneven surface, was an unknown factor in the summer run. I used a larger towel. I did use blue food dye, but not enough that it made any difference. The towel was again wet. The results were, if anything, better than those in the spring.
I remembered to time my swizzle. The two sheets were 165 cm in length, which I covered in 1.57 seconds during a second run for a linear speed of 105 cm/s. By good fortune there were four wavelengths on the paper for a wavelength of 41.3 cm. The period was 0.393 seconds, and the frequency of the swizzle was 2.55 Hz. Multiplying the frequency by the wavelength yields a wave speed of 105 cm/s. The amplitude was on the order of 4 cm.
Laboratory nine moved on to measure the speed of a sound wave using echoes. Paulo works on clapping the boards.
Brenna tracks the time while Lilly-Rose looks on.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moodle bulk grading of manually marked quiz and test questions

Experimenting with the PlantNet and iNaturalist apps

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia