Waves

 The morning session was a RipStik wave on the sidewalk.


I opter for four sheets this term. In a change from every previous term I swizzled downhill. I tried to hold a straight line down the centerline, but part way across the sheet I missed a beat and went off track to the left. That can be seen in the center line work above.


This term I chose to lay down the center line first as a continuous straight line, rather than attempting to join the midpoints between the crests and troughs. 


Only after the center line was drawn did I select a curve to trace.


By sheer coincidence there were exactly four crests and four troughs on the 333 cm long poster pad paper sheets.


Distract by my bobble and wobble on the board, I did not get my stopwatch shut down at 333 cm. While my watch said 3.78 seconds, I knew that was late and ran with 3 seconds.



For the amplitude, which was actually the second topic covered, I picked one crest (5 cm) and the adjacent trough (8 cm), added them, and divided by two to get 6.5 cm.


The morning wrapped up with velocity = wavelength × frequency or v = λ𝑓.


In the laboratory the weather was sunny but precipitation waves were expected by afternoon, so the in class introduction was very minimal.


This term I remembered the gear necessary: clappers, gloves, towels, timers, hat, sunglasses, tablet, reading glasses. 


As was done spring 2023, a spreadsheet was prepared to handle the data entry in the field. This sped up data entry and makes the median calculations effectively instantaneous. This term rain hit just after data sharing, so that time saved kept the class from getting soaked.


A national and state leadership conference was being held in the gym putting a lot of way too fast traffic onto the road and adding adding to the general workload of running this lab. Not a single photo was taken this term. 


The distance between 335 and 550 was not recorded, so I measured the distance back from 550 to that missing distance, but the distance back was 215 meters which was the distance back to 335. So that did not make any sense at all. I still do not know what happened. 251 was at maintenance with the clapper in the usual location just west of the east entrance to half moon drive. The last marker at 550 was out at the shade on the road beyond agriculture. The other two markers were to be the gym driveways. Not sure what went wrong. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia