Paired t-test fail

The small size of the class allowed for a paired t-test paper aircraft flight experiment. I asked the students to build any kind of paper airplane they knew to make. Then (curricular intervention) I taught them a new design with the hope that the new design would outperform their planes. The result was useful from the perspective of demonstrating a non-significant t-test for paired dependent variables.


This would be hard to do in a larger class - the process takes times. The idea is that this mimics the sort of study in education or health where a pre-test or pre-survey is done, an intervention is taken (a new reading program, a new approach to treating symptoms for chronic pain that does not respond well to pain killers, etc.) and then a post-test or post-survey is administered. 

The failure of the above was actually quite useful as it allowed for coverage of the issue of publication pressures, p-hacking, and the replication crisis seen in many fields. This null result would not be deemed worthy of publication. And the loss of null result articles means a terrible bias in so many fields of science.

The function driving this is a two-tailed TTEST for a difference of sample means for paired data. Yes, there were only four students in attendance. An earlier article covered why the class is so small. And, yes, I should probably be doing a Bayesian analysis given that priors are known - there is an average of 562 cm 799 prior plane flights. There is prior knowledge of how this system behaves. That said, I do not know how to do such an analysis given the above data, nor how the prior information would necessarily impact this paired comparison. I have no prior knowledge of the paper aircraft building skill of these particular students. Ultimately I cannot see how use of a frequentist approach would be unwarranted in this situation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moodle bulk grading of manually marked quiz and test questions

Experimenting with the PlantNet and iNaturalist apps

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart