Voltage, current, power, and resistance

In physical science the course moves at a topic a week. Week twelve is electricity. This term the prior week had a Thursday holiday. A week without a Thursday lab is a week in which I usually run videos on topics that are better handled by videos. I ran videos on the nature of time and when time may have begun, I also ran a series of videos on climate change.

Trisden and Twain

The climate change videos provide a natural transition to the Micronesian Seminar's video "Power comes in many forms." In that video the concepts of head and flow are introduced in the context of micro-hydroelectric power generation units.

Twain

I then build on the head as akin to voltage and flow as akin to current. Head is a measure of pressure, and for a beginner thinking of voltage as a pressure is a useful starting place.

Maxon, Kenoma, and Tania explore conductors and non-conductors

Wednesday is a traditional lecture on voltage, current, power, resistance, and Ohm's law. This includes having the students run calculations on various electrical devices. This term I did not bring in a PUC power slip, when time permits I like to explain how the power consumption of an appliance can be translated to a cost in terms of cashpower. I also did not make the trip to the solar panel output as the monitor for that system remains down.

Cells in series

The Wednesday lecture then segues nicely into a simple three part electrical laboratory: batteries and bulbs, conducting and non-conducting materials, and an Ohm's law demonstrator experiment. In the morning class Kenoma opted to hook batteries up in series. I have yet to see the data from this setup. In the afternoon I assisted and set the cells up in series which generates the classic Ohm's law relationship. I used Desmos to plot the points and show that the data was linear, then Google Sheets to obtain the slope.

Friday was a holiday, the week ended on the laboratory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moodle bulk grading of manually marked quiz and test questions

Experimenting with the PlantNet and iNaturalist apps

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia