Pulleys!

Laboratory five is a fairly simple investigation of the use of pulleys to demonstrate mechanical advantage. This laboratory is the weakest in terms of tying into the lecture-demonstration section. The week focuses on force, but from a motion and Newton's laws perspective. A force equals mass times acceleration laboratory would be more appropriate, but I have not seen a good local materials only system that well illustrates the principal. In my head I think of wagons being accelerated by spring scale systems, but I have yet to conceive of a practical rig. Ideally one would vary the mass for a constant force and obtain a linearly varying acceleration, but short of air tracks and carts I have not come up with the rig to demonstrate the relationship using locally available supplies.

Sharisey Lee Ling hooking up a spring scale to measure force

Petery Peter changing the load on her pulley

Macy Johannes records data as Callany David looks at other groups

Mary-Ann Lekka rethreading the upper pulley

Petery working with Veralyn Celestine

Mary-Ann making a spring scale reading

Monaliza Mauricio records data

Erika Billen changes masses as Casan-Jenae Joab reads the spring scale


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moodle bulk grading of manually marked quiz and test questions

Experimenting with the PlantNet and iNaturalist apps

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart