Vegetative morphology

Sunny warm weather with no rain all day meant an outside class. One pregnancy under a tropical sun and high humidity along with one student with a foot injury from stepping on glass meant a short walk. I present the presentation on leaf shapes to the class and carried the Tripltek, but the daylight was really too bright for the Tripltek. 


I looked to gain the most coverage in the minimum of distance. So across the road we went to the Hibiscus tiliaceus, Glochidion ramiflorum, Cordyline fruticosa, and Macaranga carolinensis. I could not juggle the leaves, the lecture, and the Tripltek all in the field. So that did not work as well as I hoped. I think I might have gotten away with it if I knew the actual order I would hit the leaf shapes in. I needed cordate, linear, deltoid-orbicular peltate, elliptical in roughly that order.


The leaf shapes are currently alphabetical which did not work at all in the bright sunshine. Too, the Tripltek has no range on the WiFi, so it was having difficulty switching over to running the presentation off line - the tablet could sense a WiFi connection was out there, but couldn't get enough to use, stalling the load. 

Kerry KC

From there I went to the needle like leaves of the Casuarina equisetifolia and a Carica papaya which I stumbled upon for palmate. Then Pterodophyta indica for a compound leaf at BurBen along the road. The fence is so problematic. 

By this time the Tripltek was seriously hot - the pad had activated its flashlight during my fumbling around in the field. The pad was simply problematic in the field. So this could use a rethink. That said, having the indoor option for a rainy day is a nice option, but outdoor just forgo the tablet.

Mayoleen on the left flank, Matuita up front, Pelma, Rachel, and Sonya. Keesha center back, Eugene behind Pelma.

The the northeast corner provided more elliptical, obspatulate Scaevola taccada, obovate Terminal catappa - there is one under the western mango, and oblong Senna alata leaflets. 

At this point, although it was early, I did not want to keep the class under the sun and risk overheating the pregnant student or making the injured student walk any further. Today is Nett constitution day, so perhaps a slightly early end to the class was appropriate today. I had hoped to walk down to the Decalobanthus peltatus and then up to the Centella asiatica, but those would be long pushes uphill under the sun - no clouds. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia