Botany lab twelve photosynthesis

Using the Neulog equipment, Centella asiatica, a lamp, and Centella asiatica

There was an anomaly in the carbon dioxide data where the values collapsed to the probe minimum of 350 ppm. The chamber was being warmed by the lamp, I was left wondering if perhaps the experiment should proceed using only ambient light in the classroom. 


Data values at 11:41. Carbon dioxide is up around 426 pp at Mauna Kea at present, so the 422 reading seemed quite reasonable. 


This is the data that was gathered with the time in minutes.


As seen in a pilot run at home, the carbon dioxide spiked before falling steadily, collapsing just after 27 minutes. Resetting the probe did not help. 

Oxygen levels also behaved oddly at first, dropping for eight minutes before increasing. Again, unclear the cause of the anomaly. The directions on offsetting the probe were followed, as they were for the carbon dioxide probe. I hope to obtain the USB module so I can connect the probes to a laptop and to obtain another carbon dioxide monitor in the hope I might get a better reading. I have yet to locate an affordable oxygen replacement monitor with a remote probe for use in the chamber. 


I started off by saying the plant was a special plant brought in from China, Ji Xue Cao. My Agriculture and Natural Resources students believed me. I then noted that in the states the plant could be found in some Asian supermarkets under the Singhalese name gotu cola, scientific name Centella asiatica. When I asked if the plant also had a name here on Pohnpei I got blank looks. From ANR majors. Once again I exhorted them to change majors to nursing - their classes are right next door to the lab. Then I scolded them by telling them the local name, liwadawad marer. I used this to explain that if they cannot name their own native plants, they will not be taken seriously as being a knowledgeable ANR graduate. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia