Cooling curves

Monday opened with a video playlist on heat and temperature

I opened the Wednesday lecture by trying to show what Fahrenheit was thought to be trying to create - a scale that could be be subdivided by repeated bisections. This led to a 32 point scale between the freezing point of a saline solution and a fresh water solution. I gather he might have hoped that human body temperature was 64 points above 32 at 96. Anders Celsius' system was easier to describe but perhaps slightly harder to inscribe on a thermometer. Celsius is the only one I can recreate in A101, so Celsius is the only logical option. I do not teach conversions.

I couldn't obtain a dew point depression, I am unclear as to why I could not. 

The lab is now a mature lab with only ongoing tweaks. The timing is optimal for my gathering of data. the equation was perhaps problematic, a modification to use (100-T₀) is proposed further below.  


I was entering data in real time and then pulling up the current Desmos on the SMARTboard. I did all data entry and editing on the tablet, not on the SMARTboard.

100 ml beakers were used by everyone this term. 


The increasing time gaps provide increasing amounts of time to discuss what is happening. Then in around 13 to 21 minutes I start to ask what the model might be. 


This term I started to enter equations in the time gap leading into 21 minutes. 


I haven't yet settled on an equation, and the above is not what I put on the board. The above is what I used to prevent variable collisions in my equations. The students were recommended to use:
T₁~T₂b^(t₁)+T₀  I could not use this equation because T₂ was already in use on my graph. 



I knew I shouldn't have gotten that fancy with my equation, but you should have stuck to T₁~T₂b^(t₁)+T₀  The "range" and "room" did not wind up in the subscripts and so they showed up as parameters. Maybe next term I should use T₁~(100-T₀)b^(t₁)+T₀


Proposed future equation using the second table above. T_5 would be T₀ in the actual lab.

Malachi and Mia


Rindy, Emleen, Wayne


Stella, Memichin


Renae, Alathea, and Pevirleen

On Friday the class went around campus with the remote temperature measuring device as per prior terms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia