Student affective domain reaction to an online term

As a way of obtaining a quick snapshot of how the students are handing this online term just ahead of midterm, a convenience sample of students were polled with the prompt, "In general in my online classes this term I am feeling like I am..."

Three possible responses were offered:

  • Keeping up with all of my class work, I am confident, I got this.
  • I am a behind in my class work in some classes, I am struggling.
  • I am overwhelmed by my class work, I am not surviving.
Note that no student responded that they are overwhelmed. This is, however, a biased sample. Students who are not surviving are less likely to see that a poll was posted and may have already given up and stopped participating in their courses. 

The six sections polled started the term with 120 students. Of the 120 students fourteen students have withdrawn from the sections. Two of the fourteen students withdrew themselves, one noting "Well I'm having problems all the way. So I decided to withdraw from this class if it is okay. Cuz it seems like it is to much for me since I'm new to all of this things. Well to much school work to worry about, Plus studies that's all." 

The other twelve students were withdrawn by the instructor for non-participation. For at least three of the remaining twelve a lack of appropriate technology was known to be the issue. For the other nine no contact was ever made with the student. Whether these nine were simply overwhelmed cannot be known. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia