Fruit Salad

This term I dropped asking the students to bring a fruit. I added a three video preface and dried fruit to the wet fruit cocktail, expanding the number of fruit and the activity. This also altered the worksheet.

I began with a Pinkfong fruit video to provide some settle in time for the students, then said that the result of growing up on Pinkfong videos is perhaps the Kyushu Girls Wing, which is also vaguely related to fruit and gave time for a couple late arrivals to show up prior to the main video, Why Tomatoes Are Fruits, and Strawberries Aren't Berries. One recommendation would be to tag in one more video to repeat these concepts as the students did not pick up the fruit types from a single video. Tell me once, tell me twice, tell me three times perhaps.


This term I bought one can less of fruit salad for a class of 24 but added a dried fruit mix.


This term I remembered the can opener and the toothpicks along with the muffin/cupcake trays - four of them.


The class watched the video first. 


While the last video played I set up the trays.

Gavrin, Hart, MJ, Harvey, Flores, Marissa

I told the students that the trays were not clean and to not eat the fruit. This did not dissuade them from eating the fruit.

Don, Gary, Berg

Five cups had fruit salad, one had dried fruit.

Jaylino, Myrantha, Gina

The dried fruit introduced cranberries, apricots, and kiwi to the exercise. The tropical fruit mix had nata de coco. Both the apricot and kiwi fruit were challenging for some of the groups, as were the cranberries. The dried fruit was a worthy addition.

Pala, Adore, Russell

The students tended to only fill in the first column. I had to remind them to sort out the fruit type for each fruit.

Luckyleen studies the fruit listed on the dried fruit bag

The extensions to this exercise of dried fruit and the videos seemed to be well received and enhanced this activity.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia