Floral litmus solutions

This term I began Monday with Hydrogen including the detour through deuterium and tritium in order to explain the fractional atomic mass.


From there I went into orbitals (sharp, principal, diffuse, fundamental as an ascending odd number of orbitals) and electron spin.


I wrapped up with lithium and hydrogen pairing to fill the 1s orbital shell via sharing.


On Wednesday I headed into compounds, but I changed my diagrams to drop the circular orbitals model.


I ended on H+ and OH- ions.


For Thursdays lab I again picked up fresh baking soda, finding a mini-box for ninety cents at Yoshie. The lime tree had limes, and there was a single Spathoglottis plicata in bloom in the front yard that supplied flowers.





Only the hydrogen peroxide is running low and could replacement. Perhaps vinegar too.



I used a print out of last term's board to organize my notes.


This lab is always somewhat conceptually confusing for the students, I find that getting the board notes right and explaining carefully with a demonstration are critically important. And then there are still those who do not seem to pay attention.


Some boiled flowers.


Joyceleen tests baking soda, Rodman holds the test tube

Ellena and Mauriney test unknowns

Joyann and Joyceleen

Mayson and Darall consider their results, Kimmy checks for a color change due to the baking soda, Susan checks for a color change due to the lime fruit.

Susan tests unknowns

Friday will wrap with a chemistry oriented playlist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia