Lubuntu, YouTube, and playable DVDs

I wanted to show my health science class some YouTube videos on Choose MyPlate, the recent guidelines on healthy eating. My classroom has only a television and a DVD player. This meant downloading YouTube videos and then burning them to a playable DVD. On Lubuntu 12.04.

Downloading proved to be the simpler end of the production process. Alcatro LLC produces a slick add-on for handling video downloads in FireFox.


Alactro's software allowed me to pull down an MP4 video format file.


I then turned to Brasero, the standard video burning software in Ubuntiverse. Brasero wanted more packages, and I happily downloaded a variety of packages. I got stuck on mplex, but eventually found that enabling the medibuntu collection and adding some gstreamer bad packages allowed me to proceed.

At 22% conversion the process stalled and never restarted.

At that point I headed back into Synaptic and pulled down Bombono DVD.


Bombono worked out of the box - although bear in mind I had downloaded a passel of packages trying to get Brasero up and running. Although the conversion process took some time and pushed my quad four CPU rig, minutes later I held in my hand a DVD that could be played in a standard player. Lubuntu land is a good place to live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moodle bulk grading of manually marked quiz and test questions

Experimenting with the PlantNet and iNaturalist apps

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia