Light bending and Schoology rubrics

Physical science laboratory eleven focused on light bending and bouncing. The laboratory is one of the original laboratories from 2007 and has seen little change over the years. The laboratory still provides a simple non-trigonometric approach to the index of refraction of water. The lab also continues the focus on linear regressions in science and reinforces the mathematics core of the course.
J-Dina and Beverly measuring apparent depth

This term Schoology upgraded rubric handling capabilities to include saving, copying, and customizing. I use the copy feature to copy the rubric to another course, alter the rubric, and copy it back modified. The multi-hour task of building my complex rubrics from scratch had deterred me from building altered rubrics. The new capability in Schoology allowed me to develop a new 76 point rubric that handles the two tables and two graphs of laboratory eleven. This new rubric will also be useful for laboratory three in future terms. Schoology now supports all of my courses.

Tyrone, Arnold, Raymond

As one of the first users of Engrade at the college over three years ago, I caused a number of faculty to follow me into Engrade. A year and half later after trying and abandoning Edmodo and CourseSites, I stumbled onto Schoology. By fall 2014 I had moved all of my courses to Schoology. These days when faculty come to me for support in the use of Engrade I refer them to our information techs. I no longer help faculty use what is centrally only a grade book with a few limited extensions. I suggest to faculty still using Engrade to step up to a real learning management system, Schoology.

Jeanine, Lynnsey

When a faculty member upgraded Safari recently, Engrade attachments were no longer being accessed properly, some form of XML based error. I noted that Engrade was never designed with a document management capability and that the attachment system provided no way to organize submissions. I recommended the faculty member move to Schoology, and offered to help them.

Jeanine, Lynnsey

I realize that I am actively unhelpful to those faculty still struggling to make Engrade do more than it was designed to do, but as an instructor time is my scarcest resource. I do not see wasting my time nor theirs when there is the more powerful and comprehensive option to use Schoology.

Although the institution for which I work has not adopted any LMS, the free option makes Schoology available to faculty. I can only hope that at some critical mass the college will see the wisdom in gaining access to the information collectively held in Schoology. I continue to believe that early intervention efforts would benefit from institutional adoption of Schoology. With Engrade I could demonstrate a limited "institutional stub" to administrators. Schoology does not seem to have that option, so making the case for adoption is more challenging.

Lynnsey measures the object distance from the pig to the mirror, she will later measure the apparent depth of the pig in the mirror. Jeanine records data.

With the laboratory completed I will get a chance to run a seventeen criteria rubric on 28 laboratory reports, a task that would have been too daunting to attempt without the rubric capability of Schoology. I can now demand more from my students that I was capable of marking by hand. The class is slightly more demanding, yet the rubric - which the student scientists get to see too - also provides the guidance that they need to meet increased performance demands of the course. Schoology makes possible a win-win-win situation for the curriculum, the students and I.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plotting polar coordinates in Desmos and a vector addition demonstrator

Setting up a boxplot chart in Google Sheets with multiple boxplots on a single chart

Traditional food dishes of Micronesia